This is how easy it is to make natural homemade toothpaste
Now that we are in the hot summer months, and school is out, it’s time to work on those projects with the kids and use it as a learning experience. We like to make a super simple three-ingredient toothpaste and the kids love to help!
This toothpaste is free from the toxins and chemicals often found in store-bought toothpaste. These are the 7 most harmful ingredients in most toothpaste on the market that you should avoid:
Three Ingredients in Homemade Toothpaste:
- 1 cup of coconut oil
- 8 tablespoons of baking soda
- 15-30 drops of peppermint or spearmint essential oil
You can make as much of this as you want! I like to store it in small mason jars, so the kids have their own toothpaste in their bathroom to use.
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Start by adding 1 cup of room temperature coconut oil to a bowl.
- Next, add the 8 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Pour in 15-30 drops of peppermint or spearmint essential oil. (You can mix and match these to get a flavor you like. You can also use more or less depending on how strong and minty you prefer your toothpaste)
- Mix together until it forms a nice, soft paste.
- Transfer the toothpaste to an airtight jar.
You can add a little more baking soda if you want a little more abrasion, or you can add less. This recipe is adjustable to you and each person in your family can tweak their toothpaste to their liking!
That’s all there is to it! It is a fun, simple, and fast way to get the kids involved in creating something natural that they can use several times a day! You can even split their toothpaste into separate jars and label who has which jar, just in case you have a spearmint lover and a peppermint lover. This also helps prevent spreading germs when they dip their toothbrush into the same container. Plus, it just makes them feel special to have their own!